Agrarian, industrial and tourism sectors will develop in Lachin
Lachin region is the part of the Kalbajar-Lachin economic region. Lachin region, liberated from occupation, is located in a mountainous area in the south-west of the Republic of Azerbaijan. In the north, the region borders with Kalbajar, in the east - with Khojaly, Shusha and Khojavand, in the south - with Gubadli regions, and in the west - with the Republic of Armenia. The region with an area of 1.84 thousand km2 was formed on August 8, 1930. The distance between Lachin and Baku is 414 km. The Lachin region includes 1 city (Lachin), 1 settlement (Gayghi) and 125 villages. According to statistics, the population is 77.7 thousand people with the density 42 people per 1 km2 (as of January 1, 2019). According to the 2009 census, 96 percent of the population are Azerbaijanis, and 83 percent of the population live in rural areas.
The main deposits of the region are the following: Narzanli, Chilgazchay, Saribulag mercury fields (with total reserves of 1124 tons); Lachin limestone deposit (with reserves of 4457 tons) suitable for lime production; Gochaz marble limestone (with reserves of 2533 thousand m3), suitable for the production of facing stone; 2 tuff deposits - Agoglan and Ahmadli, (with reserves of 5125 thousand m3), suitable for the production of sawn stone; Novruzlu clay deposits (with reserves of 998 thousand m3), suitable for the production of bricks and tiles; Minkand mineral waters deposit with reserves of 430 thousand m3 / day.
Lachin region has a raw material base that is necessary for the construction sector. Before the occupation, there were marble and lime workshops, as well as two stone quarries. This is a fundamental basis for the restoration of business traditions in the area. If we take into account that the main factor in the development of Karabakh is a raw material base suitable for the construction sector, the Lachin region will have a significant share in the development trajectory to be created in this direction.
Among investment-intensive areas of the Lachin region are agriculture, animal husbandry, weaving, construction, and tourism. Before the occupation, about 82 percent of the working-age population was rural. All these indicators create additional opportunities for local farmers.
In the production of agricultural products, cereals and legumes (including wheat) prevail with a volume of 2450 tons. Other agricultural products include sugar beets, potatoes, vegetables, and melons. The population of the region was mainly engaged in animal husbandry and bred cattle, bees, sheep and goats. According to the State Statistics Committee, in 1990 there were about 40 thousand head of cattle and 240 thousand head of sheep and goats in the Lachin region. Before the occupation, every year the region sold to the state 6,000 tons of milk, 5,000 tons of meat and more than 400 tons of wool.
Another developed sphere of Lachin region was weaving. Saddle-cloths, rugs, kilims, carpets, zili, khurjuns and farmeshs, woven of wool in the region, were distinguished by their beauty. The creation of the world famous "Gasimusaghi" carpet is associated with the name of the Lachin region. In Soviet times, there was a shop for receiving wool and leather in the region. All these directions will contribute to the future role of the region as an auxiliary factor in the development of light industry in Karabakh.
In general, before the occupation, 217 cultural institutions, 142 medical institutions, 133 institutions, 100 secondary schools, 5 preschool institutions, 5 music schools, 1 boarding school and 1 secondary vocational school functioned in the region. Along with that, a butter and cheese factory, a cannery, a meat receiving and supply point, a wool and leather receiving point, a chemical union, a veterinary clinic, a production association of building materials, a woodworking industry, a road construction department, branches of the Sumgait aluminum and machine-building plants, factories of light and local industries, two asphalt plants, a concrete plant, marble and lime workshops, as well as two stone quarries functioned in the region.