Death toll from Turkey's earthquake rises to 29
The death toll from Friday's powerful earthquake in eastern Turkey has risen to 29, the country's disaster relief agency said, Faktor.az reports quotng Anadolu Agency.
So far, 1,234 people have been reported injured as rescue workers continue recovering people buried under the rubble, according to the Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD).
A total of 43 people have been rescued including a woman, 17 hours after her house collapsed on her.
A team of surveyors is assessing the damage caused by the earthquake, with initial reports suggesting 72 buildings were completely damaged.
At least 462 aftershocks were felt in the region of which more than a dozen were above 4.0 magnitude.
The 6.8-magnitude quake shook Turkey's Elazig province on Friday night. Tremors were also felt in neighboring countries including Syria and Georgia.
Earlier on Saturday, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan visited the quake-affected region and attended the funeral of two victims.
"We have borne many earthquakes but the nation has risen above them patiently," said Erdogan, asking the nation to exercise strength at their weakest hour.
Condolences have poured in from world over, including the U.S., Russia, Malaysia and Pakistan.